RSS

Walks of a lifetime: six epic mountain hikes across Europe

From a sandstone labyrinth to bears and marmots, Europe’s hills and mountains offer exhilarating long-distance walks. Just don’t forget your poles and harness

Is this bag too heavy? Do my boots pinch? Am I fit enough? Do I look a complete anorak in this cagoule? There is nothing like the prospect of a multi-day, long-distance footpath to rouse lurking anxieties and keep you awake at night for weeks beforehand. And there is always the helpful soul who insists you must take a particular item: a thick hardback volume on the benefits of walking? Lovely.

A selection of artisanal cheeses and a bottle of fizz? I’ll squeeze them in somehow. Once for me, in Yemen, it was a pistol, presented with the comforting words: “Take this – you’re going to need it.”

Continue reading...

from Travel | The Guardian https://ift.tt/01d6Yty

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment